On the 5th of March, 2010, I went to Athenee Palace Hilton Hotel, Le Diplomat Hall, to see Dr. Alexandros PSYCHOGIOS, PhD in Business Administration (University of Warwick, UK) and Senior Lecturer on Management & HR at CITY College – The International Faculty of the University of Sheffield.
What are my notes at the event?
– Oftentimes, management implies a sort of control;
– What is a complex system? Something that can’t be defined;
– Business gurus claim to bring you success overnight, but this rarely ever happens;
– Entropy – how much does a system change in time;
– In complexity there are a lot of opportunities;
– Success & rewards are coming when the risk is high;
– Complexity in societies is due to humans, rather than machines;
– Humans are doing mistakes, the sooner we accept this, the sooner we will be able to correct them;
– Customers are at the core of the management system;
– You can imagine management to be like this:
(source of image and license)
It is a spiral, a dynamic system, always evolving & developing & changing;
– Management today is always evolving;
– TQM (Total Quality Management) involves leadership, it should be TQL (Total Quality Leadership);
– When you say something to someone, you influence them;
– How to create trust?
- Take the blame;
- Share the credit;
- Pitch in and help (give the general guidelines support, but don’t involve);
- Be consistent;
- Be honest and fair to the people (if you reward someone, give the same reward when someone else does a similar thing);
– You should give & receive feed-back;
– Learning without feed-back is not learning;
– Steps within an organization:
- Step 1: Self-knowledge (evaluation);
- Step 2: Self-discipline (organization);
- Step 3: Self-sacrifice (resolving);
– You should quiet the voice in the head that says “I can’t do it!”;
– When you say “manager”, typically you mean “middle manager”;
– Managers should have micro-leadership skills;
That’s it, very nice event, I liked it a lot.
P.S.: Also see the Yahoo! Group on which I present similar events: Conferinte recomandate To join, email firstname.lastname@example.org and reply to the confirmation email.
You will find videos made by me on my YouTube channel, and photos on my Picasa Web Albums accounts.