There are a lot of factors when it comes to SEO – from having a lot of good links, to making sure that search engines can crawl a web site fast & find what’s good about your content to make it rank.
But, to me, the most important & simple at the same time element is this – the title attribute. It’s simple, basic, and sometimes ignored.
The rules for it are simple:
- Less than 65 characters (with spaces);
- The targeted keyword(s) should be at the very beginning of the title;
- Put at the end of the title your brand name (or, if you’re a huge brand, right at the beginning);
- Don’t over optimize – don’t try to work with 6 keywords at once; for a regular page – 2 keywords maximum, homepage? OK, you can have 3, but no more;
- Don’t do keyword cannibalization – avoid optimizing more than one page for the same keywords;
Avoid having too many keyword synonyms – stick with the basics;
Do this, and you’ve easily done a change with a big impact for the search engines. The change has one of the highest ratio between results and efforts.
Read more on keyword cannibalization:
- Romanian – Keyword Cannibalization: Dezavantaje SEO – Web Copywriter;
- Romanian – SEO pentru avansati – Keyword Cannibalization;
- How to Solve Keyword Cannibalization – SEO Tips | SEOmoz;
- Are you Cannibalizing Your Own Keywords?
and on general title tag information:
- Romanian – Meta Tag-uri: Importanta si beneficii SEO – Web Copywriter;
- All about the Title Tag for Search Engine Optimization;
- 15 Title Tag Optimization Guidelines For Usability and SEO | Usability Geek;
- Title Tag SEO Best Practices – Meta Tag Optimization | SEOmoz.
Happy titling in the New Year!