Let ‘s say you have an e-commerce web site. Someone visits your web site and they type-in “laptop”. There are two solutions for displaying results to this query:
- You can choose the solution chosen by most online shops – display lots of laptops, and sort them / filter them somehow. The troubles with this solution:
- Most results are not sorted / filtered in the right way, and it’s pretty hard to solve this.
- You also get laptop accessories, laptop books, and lots of stuff, which, for the most part, are irrelevant to the query “laptop”.
- My solution / suggestion would imply only listing the category “laptops”. That’s it, I go to search, I type laptop, and I get this query.
Regarding my solution:
- You can extend it to include special filters. For example, a search for “toshiba laptops” would bring up “Laptops” category, with the filter “Toshiba producer” already selected.
- You can put synonyms. So, if I type “notebook”, also show me “laptop” category.
Note: Also see the Yahoo! Group on which I present similar issues: IMRo. To join, email email@example.com and reply to the confirmation email.