There are two options:
- Trust yourself and act accordingly.
- Don’t trust yourself so much, and take the consequences.
The thing is, as with many simple things, the decision is not so simple. I don’t think there’s a definite answer on this one. There might be situations in which having a poor self-trust will turn out well. In other situations, things differ.
I see things go wrong due to too much self-trust. I think it’s more productive in some cases to have self-trust. In others, not.
Examples of poor self-trust:
- You write an article. You value others’ opinions much. Whenever you say something on your own, you need to emphasize “This is my opinion. The personal one”.
- Someone wants to help you. You don’t think you deserve it. You say no.
- Someone wants to help you. You don’t think you have the right to say no. You say yes.
- You take decisions on your own, without asking for everybody’s permission.
- You don’t speak of yourself, you speak of a group, even if not everyone is 100% pleased with this.
- You initiate things and see them through.