I’m an amateur at chess, but I still like to play.
What are some techniques and strategies for winning at chess games with beginner-level players?
- Coordinate your pieces, and make sure that, as much as possible, one piece is linked to the other.
- Try to protect your King with either pawns or minor pieces (Bishops, Knights).
- For the opponent’s King & Queen, try to put as much attack on them as possible (Rook on same files with a Queen, Bishop on the same diagonal with the opposite King, etc.).
- Try to guess what it’s going to happen – if a pawn structure completely blocks a piece of yours, try to avoid that line/diagonal.
- Always leave room for your opponent’s mistake – consider an easy mate, see if they don’t see a pin/fork, etc. A computer will almost never play assuming that you’ll make a mistake, but humans can do so.
- Try to think while your adversary is moving.
Unfortunately, I can’t tell you much more than beginner games because this is my level.
Share on WhatsApp