Note: The current article has been written more than 9 years ago!
How to write for the web? (part 1)
It may look, at a first glance, that it doesn’t really matter how you write, you just need to write. I don’t think that’s true, for both humans and the search engines you need to write well. While humans are, for now, better than the engines at spotting what’s a good content and what isn’t, I would put more emphasis on writing well. Thus, the following 10 tips from David OGILVY come in handy:
1. Read the Roman-Raphaelson book on writing. Read it three times.
2. Write the way you talk. Naturally.
3. Use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs.
4. Never use jargon words like reconceptualize, demassification, attitudinally, judgmentally. They are hallmarks of a pretentious ass.
5. Never write more than two pages on any subject.
6. Check your quotations.
7. Never send a letter or a memo on the day you write it. Read it aloud the next morning—and then edit it.
8. If it is something important, get a colleague to improve it.
9. Before you send your letter or your memo, make sure it is crystal clear what you want the recipient to do.
10. If you want ACTION, don’t write. Go and tell the guy what you want.
(source – 10 Tips on Writing from David Ogilvy – Brain Pickings)
Buy the book: Confessions of an Advertising Man.
Translation in Romanian (via):
1. Citeşte cartea “Writing that works” de Kenneth Roman, Joel Raphaelson. Citeşte-o de trei ori.
2. Scrie aşa cum vorbeşti. Natural.
3. Foloseşte cuvinte scurte, propoziţii scurte şi paragrafe scurte.
4. Nu folosi niciodată jargoane precum: reconceptualizare, demasificare, atitudinal. Aceste cuvinte sunt caracteristice prietenţioşilor.
5. Nu scrie niciodată mai mult de două pagini pe acelaşi subiect.
6. Verifică-ţi citatele.
7. Nu trimite niciodată o scrisoare în ziua în care ai scris-o. Citeşte-o cu voce tare dimineaţa următoare şi apoi editeaz-o.
8. Dacă-i o scrisoare importantă, pune colegii să o îmbunătăţească.
9. Înainte să trimiţi scrisoarea, asigură-te că-i foarte clar ceea ce vrei să facă destinatarul.
10. Dacă vrei ACŢIUNE, nu scrie. Du-te şi zi-i tipului ceea ce vrei.
How to write for the web? (part 2)
- How to Write for the Web—a New Approach for Increased Engagement – Whiteboard Friday – Moz
- How to write for the web: 23 useful rules | Econsultancy
- BBC Academy – Journalism – Writing for the web
- Writing for the Web | Usability.gov
- 9 Simple Tips for Writing Persuasive Web Content – Enchanting Marketing
- How to Write for the Web | Chapter Three
How to write Product Descriptions?
- 7 Simple Steps to Writing Product Descriptions that Sell
- 9 Examples of How to Write Product Descriptions that Sell – Ecommerce Copywriting
- How to Write Product Descriptions That Will Make Customers Love Your Brand – YouMoz – Moz
- How to Write Compelling Product Descriptions for Anything
- How to Write Product Descriptions that Sell – Shopify Nation
- 11 Incredible Techniques To Write Great Product Description – nopAccelerate
- How to Write Product Descriptions that Sell, Boost SEO Efforts | Practical Ecommerce
- 10 Compelling Product Descriptions | Practical Ecommerce
Various articles on writing for the web
- A Comprehensive Guide to Formatting Your WordPress Posts and Pages – Copyblogger
- Seth’s Blog: Most presentations aren’t bullet proof &
- Seth’s Blog: Really Bad Powerpoint
- On Writing Well – by William Zinsser | Derek Sivers
P.S., 2018.05.19: Also see: How to write quality articles on your web site? – Olivian.ro – by Olivian Breda.
P.S., 2018.06.13: Also see:
- Why Good Unique Content Needs to Die – Whiteboard Friday – Moz
- How to Create 10x Content – Whiteboard Friday – Moz
P.S., 2018.07.17: Also see:
Traditional on-page SEO guidance is to target a primary phrase, its near-related terms, and its longtail variants by using them in the text and placing them in strategic locations on the page (i.e., title, headings, early in content, throughout content). However, writing for Natural Language Processing, or NLP, requires some additional steps and considerations.
P.S., 2019.02.16: How To Write A Great Product Description Page – Portent.
PS, 2019.02.19: How to Write Like You Talk: Becoming a Relatable Writer.
PS, 2019.09.28: How to Write a Press Release: The Definitive Guide.
PS, 2019.10.28: Debunking A Major Myth About Ad Copy – Business Insider.
PS, 2020.06.23: How Great Writing Begins – Better Humans – Medium.
PS, 2020.06.23: How Great Writers End Their Articles – Better Humans – Medium.
PS, 2020.06.26: Stop Writing to Yourself. – The Writing Cooperative.
PS, 2020.07.01: Câteva idei despre scrierea unui articol – Blog de Olivian Breda.
PS, 2020.07.07: Scrierea de texte bine realizate, sfaturi de la A la Z
PS, 2020.07.19: Why Wirecutter Wins: Opinionated Content – Animalz.
PS, 2020.07.28: To Get More Replies, Say Less | Greg Kogan.
PS, 2020.07.29: How to build a better writing habit – Ness Labs.
PS, 2020.08.31: How to write in plain English.
PS, 2020.08.31: Meet the “menu engineers” who optimize restaurant revenue.
PS, 2020.09.04: Cum să scrii mai bine – DoR.
PS, 2020.09.06: 7 Practical Tips for Better Microcopy | Learn UXD.
PS, 2020.10.11: This Lifehack Will Change Your Life—If You Can Stand It.
PS, 2020.12.24: De la omidă la fluture: Cum să editezi un text să sune bine.
PS, 2020.12.30: The Weird Strategy Dr. Seuss Used to Create His Greatest Work.
PS, 2020.12.31: What Is SEO Writing? How to Be a Better SEO Writer.
PS, 2020.01.03: Write 5x more but write 5x less – Mike Crittenden.
PS, 2021.01.13: Writing Routines.
PS, 2021.01.16: A Few Thoughts On Writing · Collaborative Fund.
PS, 2021.01.29: Use the smallest word that does the job – Mike Crittenden.
PS, 2021.02.04: How to Write Awesome Building in Public Posts? by Kevon Cheung.
PS, 2021.02.06: How to punctuate.
PS, 2021.02.06: How to write in plain English.
PS, 2021.02.07: This Is What 300 Writers Say Made Them Successful.
- Neil Gaiman’s 8 Rules of Writing – Brain Pickings
- Kurt Vonnegut’s 8 Tenets of Storytelling – Brain Pickings
- Henry Miller’s 11 Commandments of Writing and His Daily Creative Routine – Brain Pickings
- Jack Kerouac’s List of 30 Beliefs and Techniques for Writing and Life – Brain Pickings
- Six Tips on Writing from John Steinbeck – Brain Pickings
- Susan Sontag on Writing – Brain Pickings