I saw „Jesus Christ Superstar„, a musical by Andrew Lloyd WEBBER, with lyrics by Tim RICE. It was a 2006 interpretation of the famous rock opera. The show was made by Adrian PINTEA and his students. My feed-back comes today, 5 years after.
I liked the show so much at that time. I read in „B-24-FUN” an editorial which asked for a group fundraising, so that the show could still play. I’ve been to the show two times and was deeply impressed by it. I then saw the original movie, some remakes, listened to the concert. To me, one of the best shows I’ve witnessed. After this, I started listening to more and more of Andre Lloyd WEBBER’s compositions (The Phantom of the Opera, Whistle Down the Wind, Love Never Dies).
What did I like?
- There was a special atmosphere at the event; below you’ll find some videos, but they can hardly put into practice the atmosphere there was in the room;
- Sound sounded great;
- Although I did not know the script, and did not understand very well the play (back then), I was impressed by the actor’s expression of emotions;
- The room was filled;
You can read some details, in Romanian, about the event:
- U.N.A.T.C. „I.L.Caragiale” • Vezi topic – Jesus Christ Superstar in Romania!!!!
- „Jesus Christ Superstar”, dupa 30 de ani… :: BizShow :: Recomandari :: Saptamana Financiara
- „Jesus Christ Superstar”, spectacolul verii – Cotidianul
- „Jesus Christ Superstar” la ArCuB @ Newspad Stiri
See the musical numbers below (I’ve linked to YouTube videos with the interpretation in 2006, available thanks to lidiadrums user on YouTube)
- VIDEO: „Overture” – Orchestra
- VIDEO: „Heaven on Their Minds” – Judas
- „What’s the Buzz” / „Strange Thing Mystifying” – Apostles, Jesus, Mary, Judas, Woman
- „Everything’s Alright” – Mary, Women, Judas, Jesus, Apostles
- „This Jesus Must Die” – Annas, Caiaphas, Apostles, Priests
- VIDEO: „Hosanna” – Apostles, Caiaphas, Jesus, Ensemble
- VIDEO: „Simon Zealotes” / „Poor Jerusalem” – Apostles, Simon, Jesus, Ensemble
- VIDEO: „Pilate’s Dream” – Pilate
- VIDEO: „The Temple” – Ensemble, Jesus
- „Everything’s Alright (reprise)” – Mary, Jesus
- „I Don’t Know How to Love Him” – Mary
- „Damned for All Time” / „Blood Money” – Judas, Annas, Caiaphas, Chorus
- „The Last Supper” – Apostles, Jesus, Judas
- VIDEO: „Gethsemane (I Only Want to Say)” – Jesus
- „The Arrest” – Judas, Jesus, Peter, Apostles, Ensemble, Annas, Caiaphas
- „Peter’s Denial” – Maid by the Fire, Peter, Soldier, Old Man, Mary
- „Pilate and Christ” – Pilate, Annas, Jesus, Ensemble
- VIDEO: „King Herod’s Song (Try it and See)” – Herod, Dancers
- „Could We Start Again Please?” – Mary, Apostles, Peter
- „Judas’ Death” – Judas, Annas, Caiaphas, Chorus
- „Trial Before Pilate (Including the Thirty-Nine Lashes)” – Pilate, Caiaphas, Annas, Jesus, Ensemble
- „Superstar” – Judas, Soul Sisters, Angels
- „The Crucifixion” – Jesus, Ensemble
- VIDEO: „John Nineteen: Forty-One” – Orchestra
And, finally, a video with Adrian PINTEA:
P.S.: You can see on YouTube other interpretations of this famous rock opera.
The video I like most, out of those, while Nicolae STEINHARDT considers that Andrew Lloyd WEBBER and Tim RICE best expressed their love for creation and love for (the) opera through Mary MAGDALENE, is „Everything’s Alright”: