How to have success? Do it (no matter how hard this would be) and get recommendations
Let’s say you’re a psychologist who wants to work with children in high-school. How to handle this?
- First, nothing is worse than doing nothing at all. Do something.
- A starting point would be to hold presentations in high-schools. “Hey, this is me, I do this & that, let me tell you some things on this”. But this is not real practice.
- A better approach? Actually hold some sessions for free. “You can come and have a first talk for free. I will help you, it will cost you nothing”. If the clients are satisfied, they’ll come back to you.
Let’s say you dream about holding speeches.
- First of all, don’t postpone your dream for years ahead. Do something today. Tomorrow as a maximum timeframe. Don’t wait half an year just to get an idea started.
- Start small, do a test – see how people react when you tell them about this. Hold a small conference for free. Then another one. After a while, you’ll be much better at understanding what you should work on, if you like it or not. You may also get some references.
You want to start a business, have big plans, think about it all the time.
- Start from somewhere, and test it first. Don’t think about the problems, think them as a “test”. Test the environment. Throw things to the ceiling until something sticks. You want a business with presents? Start doing them small, and just start selling them / donating them if you need reference.
You want to get a job in PR (this example is from Zilele Biz).
- Find a passion of yours, a hobby, something you love. Find an NGO in that field. Go to them and tell them you will work for them for free, in order to get a portfolio. Then you can get a better job.